Linux Video Players: In this article, we will see the Top 15 Video Players(Multimedia Players) available for Linux Systems such as Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS, Linux Mint, and other Ubuntu and Debian based Distros and Fedora, RHEL, Arch Linux, Gentoo and more. It is often misunderstood that Linux does not have a user-friendly interface(GUI) and not much of the applications are available for Linux and hence restricting it to Programmers and Server-side applications. In reality, a lot has changed with working Linux and currently Linux has the ability to provide the User-Friendly Interface with a lot of useful applications and App Store(on Ubuntu Unity) that can be handled in GUI and hence making it as a Perfect Home Personal Computer.
- Does Linux has a lot of UI Applications as Windows does?
- Top 15 Linux Video Players for different Linux Distros– List View
- Getting Started with Linux Video Players– Detailed Information
- Get in Touch with Us
Does Linux has a lot of UI Applications as Windows does?
- Though Linux has its trail from UNIX and mostly based on Terminal side and Server side functionalities, the Latest Linux distributions are well advanced and are ready to capture the ultimate User’s Home Computer.
- Linux has far improved in GUI and different Distros provides different User Interface experience which is really far better than Windows Operating Systems.
- The main advantage of Windows is that we all got used to its interface and its applications and hence a changeover will really be a tiring one but once on the trick then you will love Linux as much as you love Windows.
- There are a lot of applications(Cross-Platform Applications) which are available for Windows are also available for Linux Distributions and hence you will get the same app interface as windows provide which makes working with the app very easy. One such example of cross-platform Linux Video Players is VLC Media Player.
Top 15+ Video Players for Linux Ubuntu Unity – List View:
The following is the list of top 15 Multimedia(both Audio and Video) Players which provides the best experience while working with Linux.
- VLC Media Player
- Kodi Krypton 17.6
- SM Player
- Clementine Music Player
- Banshee Player
- Gnome MPV
- MPV Player
- Kylin Video Player
- Gnome Music Player Client
- Dragon Player
- Quod Libet
Each Player is explained in depth below and their installation methods on different Linux Distros have been added so that you can enjoy using Linux.
Getting Started with Linux Video Players- Detailed info & Installation Steps:
Here, we have explained the features of each and every Linux Video players of the above list along with their installation steps on different Linux Distros.
VLC Media Player for Linux- Tops the List:
VLC Media Player is one of the Best and widely used media player and it is almost available for all the platforms such as Linux, Windows, Mac, Android and a lot more. VLC which is the short form VideoLan Client which is an Open Source cross-platform media player that supports almost all the Video and Audio formats. They support from 3gp to mkv and even more than that. Hence VLC will be the best option for Ubuntu as a Media Player. Get to know more about Vlc for Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS
Installing Procedure of VLC on different Distros:
Kodi Krypton 17.6-Stable Release:
- Kodi has its trail from Xbox as it was initially designed as a media player for the purpose of Xbox and was named as XBMC. Later on, it was changed to Xbox Media Center and finally got its most famous name Kodi.
- Kodi is an all in one player[Most Versatile Open Source Media Player] that allows you to watch Videos, listen to music, view pictures, Run apps and with the help of a number of addons, you can browse the web and can do a lot more.
- Addons strengthen Kodi more and allow it to perform a lot more tasks.
- Kodi is almost available for all devices such as Laptop/PC, Smartphones, Tablets, Raspberry and more and also available for most of the famous platforms such as Windows, Linux, iOS, Mac, Android and more.
- The most Stable version of Kodi player currently is Kodi Krypton 17.6 which is the successor of Kodi Jarvis 16.1 and the upcoming version of Kodi that is being expected soon is Kodi 18 Codenamed Leia.
Installing Procedure of Kodi Krypton 17.6 on different Linux Distros:
Kodi is available on the main debian repository itself. Hence it is very easy installing Kodi on Debian Distros.
SM Player is one of the best Open Source Media players that is available for Linux. It is a Cross-Platform Multimedia player and hence SM Player is also available for Windows. SM Player can play almost all the Video and Audio Formats. Compared to the other players, SM Player’s GUI is highly interacting with users. Moreover, It is available in different languages which allow users to enjoy this player in their own language. It uses the famous and best Mplayer’s Playback Engine and hence this player will never disappoint you.
Installing Procedure of SM Player on Linux:
Clementine Music Player:
Clementine is one of the easy to use and fast responding Music Player that is available for Linux. Users kindly note that it is a cross-platform multimedia player and hence it is available for Windows, Mac, and Raspberry Pi too. This application supports almost all the Audio formats. There are a lot of advantages with using this player yet few have to be mentioned and they are listed below.
- It allows you to organize your music.
- You can able to Transcode your music into mp3 and a lot more formats.
- Listen to your favorite radio using Radio option.
- Manage your Visualizations and make Clementine a much better Music player.
- Automatically Search and play your Local Library.
Methods to Install Clementine on different Linux Distributions:
Banshee Player: Holds the place on the Top 5:
Banshee is one of the famous Media Players among Linux users. It is one of the best playback application for GNOME Desktop. Like other players, you can able to import audios, listen to your favorite music, creating playlists, sync with other devices and you can also able to Burn selections to your CD. Since it is an old player, it is almost available for most of the famous Linux Distros.
Banshee for different Linux Distributions- Installation Steps:
Audacity- Audio Player & Audio Editor:
Audacity Linux is an Open source Digital Audio editor that helps us to manage and edit our audio files in a digital way.The main advantage of this application is Cross-Platform Operation. Post Processing all types of audio is possible and also you can able to use this application as a normal music player. Add a number of effects such as Trimming, Fading and Normalization and more. Record and mix Albums(Multitrack mixing) using Audacity. Amplitude Envelope editing is also possible in Audacity application. Schedule your Recorder times to automate the process. Precisely, adjust the Audio Speed as well as Audio pitch.
Steps to Install Audacity on Linux Distros:
Audacious Media Player:
Audacious is one of the open source cross-platform player available for Linux. This player has a simple and pleasing interface that provides users the clear information. You can drag-drop your music, add some effects and visualizations and more. Audacious is available for a number of distros and the installation steps of them are given below.
Installation Procedure for installing Audacious Media Player:
Miro is one of the successful cross-platform media player which is doing its best on Linux for a long time. Like Audacious, Miro is also one of the simplest and coolest player available for different Linux Distributions.
Miro Installation Steps for different Linux Distros:
Xine Media Player:
Xine is not a simple audio player. It is a kind of Developer based audio player. You need to install both Front end and Back end separately. Xine is available for Ubuntu and other famous Linux Distributions and the installation steps are given below.
Amarok is one of the best Audio players which performs much better with KDE. Amarok is loaded with a lot of features such as Dynamic Playlists, Automatic update of playlists, customizable interface, easy drag-drop options and a lot more.
Installation steps for Amarok Player on Linux Distros:
GNOME MPV Player:
GNOME MPV Player is a powerful GTK+ front end for MPV and this player is capable of playing both Audio and Video formats. If you are Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS user then you can install this application from Ubuntu Software itself. It has a very simple interface.
MPV is a High-quality Audio and Video Player that supports almost all media files and it is based on mplayer and mplayer 2. All other features remain the same as the other players. It is also to be noted that it is a cross-platform media player and hence it is available for Windows and Mac. If you are an Ubuntu Unity user, then you can also install this application via Ubuntu Software.
Kylin Video Player:
Kylin Video Player is one of the Video and Audio Player available for Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS. It uses Mplayer and MPV Player multimedia engines. It supports almost all the Audio and Video formats. This player can be downloaded from the Ubuntu Software.
Gnome Music Player Client:
Gnome music player client which is simply called as GMPC is a full-featured audio player and supports all kind of audio formats.
Dragon Player is a simple multimedia player and provides a simple interface. This player contains all the necessary features that a media requires. This player is a KDE based version. You can install Dragon Player on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS using Ubuntu Software.
Quod Libet Player:
Quod Libet Player is an Audio Management Program and is capable of acting as an Audio Player. With Quod Libet, you can able to manage your Music files on the system. It supports all the famous and most used audio formats. You can install this application on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS using Ubuntu Software.
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provided detailed information on different Linux Video Players and Linux Audio Players and also about the installation of these Linux Multimedia Players on different Linux Distributions such as Ubuntu Unity 18.04/16.04, Fedora, Gentoo, RHEL, OpenSUSE, Arch Linux and a lot more. If you have any Query then Kindly Comment Us and we will revert to a solution ASAP.
- Article Quality - 98
- Content Depth - 98
- Explanation - 97
- Working Efficiency - 98
For more interesting articles on Linux, Kindly visit TecRobust