fping Linux: In this article, we will see What is fping and how to install it on various Linux Environments such as Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS, other Debian Distros, Fedora, CentOS and more. In general, fping is a ping tool that is available for Linux that can perform a wide range of operations. Check out: Brackets Source Code Editor for Linux Ubuntu
- What is a Ping?
- How does fping differ from Ping?
- Commands to Install fping on Linux Ubuntu/Fedora/SUSE/CentOS
- fping functions on Linux– Go through Table
- Getting Started with fping on Linux Ubuntu Unity
- Get in Touch with Us
What is a Ping?
Ping(the abbreviation is Packet Internet Groper) is nothing but a Network utility function which is used to check the Host connectivity on IP(Internet Protocol) but sending Echo requests which are nothing but Internet Control Message Protocol(ICMP) and wait for a return signal from the host and thereby producing data based on the return signal time and quality and lot more.
How does fping differ from Ping?
- fping allows you to specify the number of targets.
- fping is used in Scripts and hence it will be easy to parse.
- You can also specify the targets on a file so that the fping send signals to a number of targets rather than sending signals to a single target until it gets a return signal or replies. (The replied signal from the file list will be excluded from the loop and the iteration continues with the rest of the target signals).
Installing fping on different Linux Environments:
For Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS & other Debian/Ubuntu based Distros:
fping Linux on Linux Fedora:
fping on CentOS:
Get fping Linux on openSUSE:
fping for Arch Linux:
fping functions on Linux- Quick Go through:
The following table explains the functionalities of fping linux.
|-a||Display where the target is alive or not|
|-A||Display the target by IP address instead of DNS name|
|-e||Displays the time taken by return packets|
|-n||Display targets by name|
|-s||Prints the Statistics of the current fping target|
|-q||Quiet. Does not display the individual tasks done by fping|
|-u||Displays targets which are not reachable|
|-v||Displays the version of fping that is currently installed|
Getting Started with fping on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS:
Here, we will see in detail about working with fping on Linux Ubuntu.
- Kindly open the Terminal using the shortcut CTRL + ALT + T.
- Execute the installation command of fping on Linux Ubuntu.
Check the Pinging of an IP or a Website:
- If you wish to check whether an IP or a Target is working properly then you can use the following command.
- Once you execute the above command the output will be as mentioned in the following images.
Pinging Multiple IP Address at a single instant:
- It is possible to check for multiple IP addresses and all you have to do is to separate them with spaces. Kindly check out the below example.
Displaying Targets using IP address than DNS:
- Suppose when you are checking a target and if you wish the status of the target using its IP address instead of DNS, then you can follow this method.
Reading a list of targets from a file using fping:
- This is one of the very interesting advantages of fping over normal ping. We have explained the steps in the detail below.
- Create a text file(say fping.txt) with the targets(IP address) and save it on the Desktop.
- Open Terminal and execute the following command.
Display the Complete fping statistics of target/targets:
- If you wish to know about the complete information of how many packets sent and how much time it took for fping then kindly follow the below command.
Checking Targets through a range:
- If you want to check a number of targets through a range then this command can be used on the terminal.
Displaying the Time taken by the Return Packets:
- Once the fping send packets to the targets, it will take some time to get signals from the return packets and it is possible to check how much time the return signals took.
Print the Help options of fping on the Terminal:
- Help option of fping provides a number of information on fping and the commands that can be used.
Get to know the fping version:
- To get to know the current fping version that is currently installed, the following command has to be used.
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provides detailed information on How to Install fping Linux on various Linux Versions such as Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS, Linux Mint, and other Debian and Ubuntu Distros and other distros such as Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch Linux and more. We have also explained a number of functionalities of fping Linux on Ubuntu Unity with detailed steps and clear images for easy understanding of the users. Kindly Comment Us if you have any Query and we will revert to you with a solution ASAP.