Emacs Linux: In this article, we will see detailed information about Emacs Linux and different methods to install Emacs Linux Text Editor on various Linux Distributions such as Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS/16.04, and more. We will also make a comparison between Emacs Vs Vim and check out which is the best and most effective and a lot more.
- What is a GNU Emacs Linux Text Editor?
- Emacs Vs Vim- The Famous Comparison
- How to Install Emacs Editor on Ubuntu Unity– Terminal method
- Install GNU Emacs on Ubuntu Unity 18.04– GUI Method
- Remove Emacs Linux Text Editor from Linux
- Advantages of Emacs Text Editor
- Video Tutorial
- Get in Touch with Us
What is Emacs Linux Editor?
Emacs Text editor otherwise called as GNU Emacs is a free text editor and it is available for different platforms such as Windows, Linux, and MacOS. GNU Emacs has its development from more than past Forty Decades and hence it is a complete full-fledged editor with extended functions and features and moreover, Emacs Linux is a Highly Customizable real-time display monitor. It can also be used as an Integrated Development Environment(IDE) for many Programming languages such as Python, Java, and more.
Emacs Vs Vim- Comparison between the two Existing Text Editors:
- Since Vim is a pre-installed editor, Working with it is more easy and Faster. Also learning Vim is quite easy compared to learn Emacs.
- On the other hand, Emacs takes time to learn but with Emacs, you can perform a lot of operations such as Programming, note taking, games, Music, Browser and more.
- In Emacs, communication with subprocesses are possible and hence making it a sort of IDE which is a tiring process in vim. Portability is far better in Vim than Emacs.
- On the Whole, if you want a simple text editor then you can proceed with Vim otherwise Emacs is much better than Vim yet you need to learn a lot of stuff before getting into it.
How to Install GNU Emacs Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04/16.04:
The following are the commands used to install Emacs Linux on various Linux Distributions.
For Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS/16.04:
If you are a Beginner and not sure about how to use the commands on the terminal then kindly follow the below-detailed article that is explained with step by step image representation.
- Open Terminal using the Shortcut CTRL +ALT +T.
- Once the Terminal opens, Paste and execute the following PPA command on the terminal. The Command as follows.
- Next command is the Package Update Command. The command as follows.
- Finally the Installation command of the Latest Version of GNU Emacs Text Editor which is 26.1.
- Kindly wait till the installation completes.
- Once the installation is finished then you can launch Emacs from All Applications of Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS.
Install GNU Emacs 25 on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS- GUI Method:
This section is for the Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS users as they get Ubuntu Software which is similar to an App Store. The main advantage of this application is that it allows you to install various applications on your Ubuntu through Graphical User Interface(GUI). The following are the steps.
- Go to All Applications.
- Search and Locate Ubuntu Software and Open it.
- Click on the Search Symbol that is available on the Top of the Window.
- A Search bar will appear now. Search for Emacs.
- Once you locate the Emacs, Click and that and Choose Install.
- Kindly wait till the installation completes.
- You can Launch GNU Emacs once the installation completes and start working
How to Remove GNU Emacs Text Editor from Linux System:
Based on the Version of Emacs that you are using, you can follow the below given steps:
For Removing Emacs 26.1 from Linux Ubuntu Unity:
For Removing Emacs 25 from Linux Ubuntu:
Advantages of Emacs Linux Text Editor:
There a lot of advantages in using Emacs on Linux yet we have listed the Highlighted features in the following list.
- It includes Syntax Coloring and content-aware editing modes.
- A Separate Package system for installing Extensions.
- GNU Emacs is a Highly Customisable Editor.
- You can either use Emacs using Emacs LISP Codes or using GUI.
- Built-in Documentation and Tutorials which will be very useful for Beginners.
- It Provides full Unicode support for almost all Human Scripts.
- Other than a Text Editor, it also includes a Project Planner, Mail reader, Debugger Interface and more.
- The Editor is also available for Windows and Mac.
For more information kindly visit our Youtube Channel
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provided detailed information on Emacs Text Editor and provided different methods to install GNU Emacs Linux on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS/16.04 and other Ubuntu based Distributions. If you have any Query with the above article, Kindly Comment Us and we will revert to you with a solution ASAP.
For more interesting articles on Linux, Kindly visit TecRobust