Gedit Linux Text Editor: Gedit is one of the Best and simple text editors available for Linux Operating systems. To be more specific, Gedit Linux is a default text editor(pre-installed) for GNOME Desktop Environment and hence you are not required to install it separately in case you are using Gnome Desktop Environment such as Ubuntu and more. However, if you had uninstalled the application by mistake or if you face any problem with the editor and wish to remove it and reinstall it then this article will be really useful for you. Let us get into the article.
- Different Methods to Install Gedit Editor
- Advantages of Gedit Linux Text Editor
- How to Remove Gedit Editor from ubuntu
- Getting Started with Gedit Text Editor
- How to enable Autosave option on Gedit
- Get in Touch with Us
Different Methods to Install Gedit Editor on Linux & other Platforms:
There are a number of methods available for installing this text editor on your Linux operating system. The following are those methods.
- Install Gedit on Linux Ubuntu using Terminal
- Download & Install Gedit on Ubuntu using Ubuntu Software– GUI Method
- Installing Gedit on Linux Distros such as Fedora
- Get Gedit Editor for Windows Operating system
- Gedit Text Editor for Mac OS X
Advantages of Gedit Linux Text Editor:
- Gedit Linux is a general purpose and simplified text editor which includes tools for Source Code Editing and markup languages.
- It includes a lot of Code-oriented features such as Bracket Matching, Line Numbering, Auto Indentation & Backup, text wrapping, editing files from remote locations, Clipboard support, configurable fonts & Colors, and a lot more.
- The usability of Gedit can be further increased with the help of additional Plugins.
- Gedit Linux supports Printing along with Print Preview options.
- Gedit Text Editor is also available for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
Install Gedit Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS/ Debian using Terminal:
- Let us get into the steps directly. The following commands can be used to install Gedit editor on your Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS/18.04.1 LTS, Linux Mint, and other Debian Distributions.
- Paste the following installation command on the terminal and execute it. Kindly enter the password to authenticate and initiate the process.
- Now the installation is completed.
- Once the installation is complete, then you can launch the application from All Applications under the name of Text Editor.
How to Install Gedit Text Editor on Fedora:
The following is the command to be used to install this editor on Fedora systems.
Download & Install Gedit using Ubuntu Software- GUI Method:
This method is more suitable for Linux Beginners as we will use the GUI option to install the editor. But for using this method, you should be running Ubuntu Unity 16.04 or Higher. The following are the steps.
- Go to All Applications.
- Search & Locate Ubuntu Software and open it.
- On the Ubuntu Software window, you will find a Search symbol on the top. Click on that.
- Now, a search bar will drop down. Search for Gedit.
- Once you locate the application then click on that and choose Install.
- Kindly wait for the application to install.
- Once installed, then you can Launch the application from All Applications under the name of Text Editor.
Get Gedit Text Editor on Microsoft Windows(Both 32 & 64 Bit):
As told in the above paragraphs, Gedit Text Editor is also available for Windows Operating system. It is also to be noted that it is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. The Official Packages are available on the Official Gedit Page. The following is the link to get Gedit on Windows.
Gedit Source Code Editor for Apple’s Mac OS X:
Gedit is also available for Mac platform. The following is the link to download the Gedit Packages from Official Gedit Page.
How to Remove/Uninstall Gedit on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS:
Getting Started with Gedit Text Editor:
In this section, we will simply create a file that contains HTML Codes. We will explain most of the highlighted features of Gedit Text Editor while creating the HTML File. We are using Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS.
- Go to All Applications and locate Text Editor and open it.
- Now you will find a blank text area on which we can start writing our texts and codes.
- We will create a simple HTML Code now.
- As you see the above image, we have created a simple HTML Code. Now we will see the options available for customizing the text editor.
- Click on the Triple bar which is available on the Top right of the Text Editor and then Choose the option Tools.
- In Tools options, you can find options such as Spell Check, Language set, Document Statistics, and Highlighting misspelled words.
- Nextly, we will see about inserting Emoji on our text. Right Click on the Text area and click on the option “Insert Emoji“. Now you can choose your favorite emoji from the wide range of emojis available.
- Now, we will see about the Plugins available for Gedit Editor and how to enable them and use them. Go to Text Editor Menu and click on the option called Preferences. Then switch to the Plugins tab. Now you can find a number of Plugins from which you can enable your required plugins.
- If you wish to insert Line numbers and status bars then go again to the Preferences and go to the View tab. There you will find a number of options such as Display Line Numbers, Display Status bars, Text Wrapping and a lot more.
How to Enable Autosave option on Gedit Text Editor:
This is one of the important options users generally look into so that their files will get saved automatically. To use this option, kindly follow the below steps.
- Go to Gedit Text Editor Menu.
- Choose the Preferences option.
- Now switch to Editor tab. There you will find the option to enable Autosave and moreover, you can also specify the Time Interval for the autosaving option.
Finally, we will take a look at the output of the sample HTML that we have created above.
Get in Touch with Us:
The article provided almost all the information related to Gedit Linux, Getting Started with Gedit Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS and different methods to install Gedit Text Editor on different platforms such as Linux, Windows, Mac and on different Linux Distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian and more. If you have any Query then Kindly Comment Us and we will revert to you a solution ASAP.
For more info, Kindly visit TecRobust