Notepad++ Linux: In this article, we will see about Notepad++ Application and whether it is available for Linux or not and some of the Best and alternate Text Editors available for Linux Distributions. Notepad++ is one of the best and a famous Text Editor among Windows users. Though this editor is available for Windows for more than a decade, there is no Official version available for Linux systems. Yet before getting disappointed, there is still a way to use Notepad++ on Linux Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo, Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS/ 18.10 and on other Debian Distros. Check out: Video Tutorial for Installing Notepad++ on Ubuntu
- Why Notepad++ Linux is so special?
- How to use Notepad++ on Linux Ubuntu– Using Terminal
- Install Notepad++ on Ubuntu 18.04/16.04– Using GUI
- Uninstall Notepadd++ application from Linux Ubuntu
- Best Alternatives for Notepad++ Linux
- Get in Touch with Us
Why Notepad++ Linux is so Special among users:
In general, Notepad++ is a Best Programming Text Editor and as well as a Source Code Editor which was developed for Windows Platform and is more famous among the Windows users. It provides a simplified speed typing interface with a lot of features such as Syntax Highlighting, Brace Matching, AutoComplete, Color Codes, and a lot more features. Source Code Editors also makes it very easy to run Compliers, debuggers, and more. Though Notepad++ is not available for Linux, there is a way to use Notepadd++ on Linux Ubuntu Distributions.
How to Use Notepad++ Linux on Linux Ubuntu-based Distros:
Notepad++ Linux is available on the Snap Store and can be used on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS/16.04 using Wine. Here, we will see the detailed steps of installing this editor on Linux systems.
The following are the commands used to install Notepad++ on Linux Ubuntu
How to Use? Paste and execute the above commands one by one.
If you are not sure about how the above commands work then kindly refer the following detailed steps. This section will be really helpful for Beginners.
- Open the Linux Terminal using CTRL +ALT +T.
- Once the Terminal opens, Paste the following command and execute it. This command will install the snap package to your repository. You can ignore this step if the snap is already installed on your system.
- The Next step is to install the Wine on Linux Ubuntu Unity. Kindly follow the below command.
- Now, its time to install Notepad++ application on Linux Ubuntu Unity. The installation command as follows.
- Kindly wait till the installation finishes. You can launch the Application from “All Applications“.
How to Download & Install Notepad++ Linux on Ubuntu 18.04/16.04-GUI Method:
One of the interesting things with Linux Ubuntu Unity 16.04/18.04 is the Ubuntu Software which is similar to an App Store. Using Ubuntu Software, you can install your favorite apps(Software) and games on Graphical User Interface itself. Kindly note that not all the apps will be available on Ubuntu Software.
- Go to All Applications.
- Search and Locate Ubuntu Software and Open it.
- Click on the Search Symbol that is available on the Top of the Window.
- A Search bar will appear now. Search for Notepad++.
- Once you locate the application, Click on that and Choose Install.
- Kindly wait for the application to install.
- Once the installation is done, you can Launch Notepad++.
Uninstall/Remove Notepad++ from Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04/16.04:
To uninstall this application, the following command has to be used on the Terminal.
The above command will uninstall the application from your Linux system.
Best Notepad++ Alternatives for Linux Distros- Top Text Editors:
Though there a lot of other Text Editors, The best Alternate for Notepad++ will be the above-listed text editors.
Notepadqq Text Editor:
Notepadqq Tops the list of Best Alternative of Notepad++ as it provides a similar interface of Notepad++ application. Notepadqq is a simple and an Open Source Text Editor which is quite faster compared to the other Editors. The following are the command to be used to install this editor on different Linux Distributions.
Geany Text Editor:
Geany Editor is an interesting editor as it is more than a simple Text Editor. Geany comes with the basic features of the Integrated Development Environment. The latest version fo Geany Text Editor is 1.34.
Sublime Text Editor- Cross-Platform Text Editor:
The above editors are simple editors which perform the Basic Text Editing functions. On the other hand, Sublime Text Editor comes with a lot of loaded features which makes it to one of the Best Text Editors available for Linux system. Few of the Highlighted features of Sublime Text Editor is that Multiple Selections, Instant Project Switch, Split Editing, Go to Anything features, Command Palette and more.
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provides almost complete information on Notepad++ Linux and different methods to install Notepad++ Linux on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS/16.04, Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo and also on other Linux Distributions. If you have any Query then Kindly Comment Us and we will revert to you with a solution ASAP.
Kindly visit TecRobust for more interesting articles on Linux.