Plex Media Server: Plex Media Server is a multiplatform web application that efficiently organizes a user’s media libraries and streams them to any device. A user can include all video, music, and photo libraries with Plex Media Server. With a Plex Pass, supported tuner, and digital antenna, a user can also watch and record FREE over-the-air broadcast TV, including major networks. A user can also enjoy podcasts Plus Plex News. Plex media server is available for a free 30-day evaluation. Monthly, yearly and lifetime subscription options are available for long term users. Plex Media Server is developed and maintained by the Team named “ Plex, Inc.” In this article, we will see How to Install Plex Media Server on Linux Ubuntu 19.04, 18.04 LTS, Linux Mint, Fedora, Arch, CentOS, and more.
- Install Plex Media Server – Using Terminal
- Install Plex Media Server- Using GUI
- Launch Plex Media Server on Ubuntu
- Remove Plex Media Server from Ubuntu – Using Terminal and GUI
- Install Plex Media Server on Fedora, Arch, and CentOS
- Features of Plex Media Server
- App Details
- Get in Touch with us
Install Plex Media Server Ubuntu 19.04/18.04.2 LTS- Using Terminal:
Follow the below steps in order to install the Plex Media Server Ubuntu via terminal. Launch the terminal using shortcut key CTRL+ALT+T and type the following command in the terminal.
The terminal will ask you for a password, provide your user account password to proceed with the installation process of Plex Media Server Ubuntu.
Install Plex Media Server Ubuntu using Ubuntu Software-GUI:
- Go to All Applications (Show Applications on Disco Dingo).
- Locate Ubuntu Software and open it.
- Click on the Search symbol of Ubuntu Software. A Search box will appear.
4. Search for Plex Media Server Ubuntu. Once you find the app, click on that.
5. Choose Install and kindly wait for the installation to complete.
6. Once done, you can Launch the Plex Media Server Ubuntu Application.
Launching Plex Media Server Ubuntu via the All apps menu:
Click on the all apps menu icon in your Ubuntu desktop. Type the keyword “Plex media” so that it will be displayed below. Go ahead and choose the Plex media server icon so that it will be launched automatically.
Plex Web sign in:
In order to access the Plex Media Server, a user needs to log in Plex Web via google, facebook or with an email account.
Instead of 30 days free trial, long term users can choose Plex Pass – subscription for Plex Media Server. Paid subscriptions such as monthly, Yearly and Lifetime are available in Plex Pass.
Permissions for Plex Media Server:
A user can enable or disable the desired permissions for Plex Media Server by clicking on the permissions tab.
List of permissions available for Plex Media Server:
- Access files in your home folder
- Access USB hardware directly
- Read/write files on removable storage devices
- Read process and system information
Remove Plex Media Server Ubuntu – Using Terminal
Follow the below steps in order to remove the Plex Media Server Ubuntu via terminal. Launch the terminal using shortcut key CTRL+ALT+T and type the following command in the terminal.
The terminal will ask you for a password, provide your user account password to proceed with the removal of Plex Media Server Ubuntu.
Remove Plex Media Server using Ubuntu software-GUI
Open Ubuntu Software and search for Plex Media Server in the search box. Click on the remove tab in order to remove the Plex Media Server GUI.
Install Plex Media Server on Linux Fedora, Arch, CentOS, and More:
Plex for Fedora:
Plex for Arch Linux:
Features of Plex Media Server:
- Magically organize all your personal media – photos, music, movies, shows, even DVR-ed TV.
- Supports Podcasts.
- Personalized and trusted video news from over 190+ global publisher partners.
- Go premium with a Plex Pass.
- With Plex Pass, a user can use Plex Live TV & DVR.
- Watch and record free over-the-air HD TV, like NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX, with any supported digital antenna and tuner.
- Free features, like remote access, sharing, security, and casting.
- Premium features with a Plex Pass subscription: DVR & Live TV, Camera Upload, Premium Photos, Mobile Sync, Parental Controls, VIP Perks, and much more.
Basic App Details & Requirements
|App Size||92.7 MB|
|OS Requirement||Ubuntu 16.04 & Later Versions|
Get in touch with us:
The above article clearly depicts the installation, launching, and removal of Plex Media Server Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & 19.04 Disco Dingo. In case of any Query please Comment Us. For Instant Solutions, Connect with us through our Forum!!
For more interesting article, Kindly visit our Home Page