Shotcut: Shotcut is a free, open source, multiplatform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Shotcut’s major features include support for a wide range of formats and no import required meaning native timeline editing is possible in it. Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring is an added advantage. Most importantly, Shotcut provides resolution support to 4k. Shortcut is developed by the company named MLT Multimedia Framework run by author Dan Denny.
- Install Shotcut Ubuntu- Using Terminal
- Install Shotcut – Using GUI
- Launch Shotcut on Ubuntu
- Remove Shotcut from Ubuntu – Using Terminal and GUI
- Features of Shotcut
- App Details
- Get in Touch with us
Install Shotcut for Ubuntu 19.04/18.04.2 LTS- Using Terminal:
Follow the below steps in order to install the Shotcut Ubuntu via terminal. Launch the terminal using shortcut key CTRL+ALT+T and type the following command in the terminal.
The terminal will ask you for a password, provide your user account password to proceed with the installation process of Shotcut Ubuntu.
Install Shotcut Ubuntu using Ubuntu Software-GUI:
- Go to All Applications (Show Applications on Disco Dingo).
- Locate Ubuntu Software and open it.
- Click on the Search symbol of Ubuntu Software. A Search box will appear.
4. Search for Shotcut. Once you find the app, Click on that.
Search Shotcut in Ubuntu software
5. Choose Install and kindly wait for the installation to complete.
6. Once done, you can Launch the Shotcut Ubuntu Application.
Launching Shotcut Ubuntu:
Using the below two methods the Shotcut Ubuntu can be launched.
- Launch via terminal
- Launch via all apps menu
Launch the terminal using shortcut key CTRL+ALT+T and type the following command in the terminal.
Launching Shotcut using the Terminal
Launching Shotcut Ubuntu via the All apps menu:
Click on the all apps menu icon in your Ubuntu desktop. Type the keyword “Shotcut” so that it will be displayed below. Go ahead and choose the Shotcut icon so that it will be launched automatically.
Remove Shotcut Ubuntu – Using Terminal
Follow the below steps in order to remove the Shotcut Ubuntu via terminal. Launch the terminal using shortcut key CTRL+ALT+T and type the following command in the terminal.
Shotcut got removed
Remove Shotcut using Ubuntu software-GUI
Open Ubuntu Software and search for Shotcut in the search box. Click on the remove tab in order to remove the Shotcut Ubuntu using GUI.
Remove shotcut using GUI
Features of Shotcut:
- Support for 4K resolutions.
- Supports popular image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF, WebP as well as image sequences.
- Support for the latest audio and video formats.
- Webcam capture and audio capture available.
- Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project.
- Color, text, noise, and counter generators.
- Many advanced audio, video, and editing features are available.
Abbreviation for image formats:
- BMP– Bitmap
- GIF– Graphical Interchange format
- JPEG– Joint Photographic Experts Group
- PNG– Portable Network Graphics
- SVG– Scalable Vector Graphics
- TGA– Targa Graphic Adapter
- TIFF– Tagged Image File Format
- WebP– WebPress Corporation
What are the minimum system requirements?
- Operating system: 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 – 10, Apple macOS 10.10 – 10.15, or 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.19.
- CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K.
- GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers.
- RAM: At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.
- Hard drive: yes, get one; the bigger, the better 🙂
- Network: Shotcut does NOT require access to the network to activate, check a subscription, or send usage analytics. So any network with (1 Gbps) can be used.
Basic App Details & Requirements
|App Size||110.7 MB|
|OS Requirement||Ubuntu 16.04 & Later Versions|
Get in touch with us:
The above article clearly depicts the installation, launching, and removal of Shotcut Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & 19.04 Disco Dingo. In case of any Query please Comment Us.
For more interesting articles, Kindly visit