Timeshift Linux: In this article, we will see How to Download and Install Timeshift Linux on different Linux Distributions and also about taking a Backup of your Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS using Timeshift application. We all know how important it is to keep a backup of our work. Timeshift is one such application that will help you create a Backup and Restore Point on your Linux Environment. The process is made very simpler because you can do it through Graphical User Interface(GUI) itself. Let us get into the article.
- What is Timeshift?
- Install Timeshift Linux using Terminal
- Getting Started with Timeshift on Ubuntu Unity
- Creating Snapshot using Timeshift
- Restoring backup from Timeshift Backup
- Deleting a Snapshot on Timeshift
- Get in Touch with Us
What is Timeshift and Why do we need it:
Timeshift Linux is a Backup creation tool or application that will help us to create a complete backup of our Linux system. The Backup is so precise with Timeshift that it even takes the files installed and files saved on the Linux system. We all know Linux is an Open-source and we have full control over the Operating system. But during the runtime, If we even make a small mistake or execute a wrong command then it can even end up with the Operating System Crash and hence it is very essential to take a backup of your system as well as your files when you are working with Linux and Timeshift Linux will be one of the Best tools for them.
Install Timeshift Linux using Terminal of Ubuntu based Distributions:
This is the simplest and easiest method to install this application on Linux. Kindly use the below commands to get Timeshift Linux.
If you are a beginner and not sure about using the terminal, then kindly follow our detailed steps given below for better understanding. We have explained with step by step image explanation.
- Open the Linux Terminal using CTRL + ALT + T.
- Once the terminal opens, execute the following command on the terminal. Kindly enter your Password if you are asked to authenticate the process.
- Now you will be prompted to Enter key to continue the process. Hence Press Enter Key and the process will continue.
- Execute the Next Command on the Terminal now. This command will look for the Latest Packages and updates them to the Latest versions.
- Finally, execute the install command given below. This command will install Timeshit Linux on your Linux Environment.
- Once the above command is executed, the application will be installed on your Linux Operating system. If you using Ubuntu Unity, then you can access the Timeshift Linux through All Applications.
Getting Started with Timeshift on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS-Setup Wizard:
Once the Application is installed on your Ubuntu Unity using the above steps then you can start using the Timeshift application.
- Click on All Apps.
- Search and Locate Timeshift and Click on it.
- Setup Wizard will pop up. It will ask you to Choose the Snapshot type. Consider the following points before choosing your Snapshot type.
In Rsync, the Snapshots will be created by copying all the files on your system using rsync. On their Subsequent snapshots, they use hard-linking and it means unchanged files will be hard-linked from the previous snapshot. If any changes have been made on files then a new copy of them will be created and backed up. Hence rsync snapshots consume a lot of space.
This snapshot will at the Block level. If any changes have been made to file, only those particular blocks will be changed and hence it consumes less space and also the process is faster and also you can create Subvolumes using BTRFS.
- We recommend proceeding with Rsync Snapshot. Click Next.
- On the next screen, you will be asked to choose the storage location of the Snapshots that are going to be created with Timeshift Linux. Kindly note that the locations supported are Linux file systems and not Window file systems such as FAT, NTFS, etc. Hence select your Linux File system Hard disk and Click Next.
- Now, you have to choose the Snapshot Levels(Scheduled Snapshots). You can enable automatic Snapshot creation on a specified interval(Hourly basis, Daily, Weekly, Monthly and more) of time. Kindly note that this step is not mandatory. But it is better to enable the options. Click Next.
- The Next step will be about including the User Home Directories. We recommend Including the Home Directories backup also so that none of the files will be missed. Choose Next.
- Finally, the Setup is Complete. Click Finish to Close the Setup Wizard.
Now the Snapshot has been configured. We have specified Timeshift about the Type of Snapshot, Location of Snapshot, Automatic Snapshot creation(Scheduled Snapshots) and more. We are all good to go now. Create your Snapshot now with a single click.
Create Snapshot using Timeshift now with a Single Click:
Once you configure the Setup Wizard of Timeshift Linux, then you can start using the application to create the snapshots.
Select Create to create a Snapshot. Once you choose this option, this snapshot will be created. It will take hours depending on your file sizes and hence you have to be patient.
Restore Backup snapshot using Timeshift:
Suppose, you are facing problems with your system or you deleted a very important file. In both cases, you have to go to Restore Point where the Linux was working fine. In that case, you can choose the option to Restore and specify the Snapshot from which the system has to be restored.
Deleting a Snapshot using Timeshift:
If you wish to delete an old Snapshot or to delete a snapshot for any reason then Choose the particular snapshot and Click Delete.
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provides complete information on How to Download and Install Timeshift Linux on Linux Distributions and other Ubuntu-based distributions along with step by step explanation Timeshift Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS and also provides information on Getting started with Timeshift application and creating Backups(Snapshots)using Timeshift Linux. If you have any Query of if you face any problem in following the above steps then Kindly Comment Us and we will get back to you with a solution ASAP.
Visit TECROBUST for more interesting articles on Linux.