Visual Studio Code Linux: Yes, it is true and what you heard is true. Visual Studio Code for Linux. In general, Visual Studio Code is a Source Code Editor which is developed and maintained by Microsoft. Unlike other Microsoft products, Visual Studio Code Linux will work on the Linux Operating system and it is one of the few Microsoft products that actually work on the Linux operating system. In this article, we will see How to Download and Install Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS & 18.04.1 LTS.
- Different Methods to Install VS Code on Linux
- Visual Studio Code- A Brief Introduction
- Download VS Code deb file from official VS Code
- Download Visual Studio Code for Fedora, RHEL, SUSE
- Install VS Code Linux on Ubuntu using Terminal
- Install Visual Studio Code on Ubuntu using GUI
- Video Tutorials
- Get in Touch with Us
Different Methods to Install Visual Studio Code Linux on Ubuntu:
There are two methods available for getting Visual Studio Code Linux on your Ubuntu Operating system. The following are those methods.
- Downloading deb file from Official VS Code
- Installing VS Code Linux using Ubuntu Terminal
- Install Visual Studio Code Linux from Ubuntu Software- GUI
Visual Studio Code- A Brief Introduction:
- The usage of VS Code can be further increased with the help of Plugins from Central Repository.
- VS Code uses Electron Framework and uses the Editor which is codenamed Monaco(the same editor used in Azure DevOps).
- One of the significant advantages of the VS Code is that it includes a number of extensions for FTP because of which it can be used as an alternative for web development.
Download deb file of VS Code for Ubuntu from Official VS Code Website:
This method is the simplest method to install VS Code on your Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS. Kindly follow the below steps to get VS Code on your Ubuntu.
- Go to VS Code Official Download Page.
- You will find a lot of Download options, Windows, Linux, Mac.
- In the Linux Section, Download the .deb file available.
- Kindly wait till the download finishes.
- Once the download is completed then simply run the .deb file on your Linux Ubuntu.
- The file will open on the Ubuntu Software. Choose the Install option now.
- Kindly wait till the installation completes. Once the installation is done then you can open and use Visual Studio Code Linux from All Applications.
Download Visual Studio Code Linux for Fedora, SUSE, RHEL:
If you are looking to download VS Code for Linux Distros such as Fedora and SUSE and RHEL, then you use the Official Visual Studio Code Website itself to download their .rpm file using which you can install VS Code on the above mentioned Linux Distributions.
How to Install VS Code Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 using Terminal:
The following are the commands to be used to install this editor on Ubuntu. We are going to use the Snap to install VS Code Linux on Ubuntu.
The following is the Beginner’s section. If you are new to Linux and if you are not sure about using the terminal then kindly use the following step by step explanation to get VS Code Linux on your Ubuntu Unity.
- Open Ubuntu Terminal using the Command CTRL +ALT +T.
- Firstly, we will install snap using the following command. Ignore this command if you have already installed snap on your Ubuntu.
- Nextly, we will update all the apps installed.
- Finally, its time to install Visual Studio Code Linux.
- Now the installation will initiate. Kindly wait till the installation completes.
- Once the installation is done then you can open the VS Code Linux from All Applications.
Install VS Code Linux on Ubuntu using Ubuntu Software- GUI:
This method is also an easier one and will be very useful for Linux Beginners. If you are using Ubuntu 16.04 & higher then you can use the following method.
- Go to All Applications.
- Search and Locate Ubuntu Software.
- Once the application loads, Click on the Search symbol which is on the top of the app.
- A Search bar will drop down now. Search for Visual Studio Code or simply vs code.
- Once you find the desired app select that app and choose Install.
- Kindly wait till the installation finishes.
- Once the installation is done then you can launch VS code from All Applications.
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provides detailed information on How to Download and Install Visual Studio Code Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.2 LTS/18.04.1 LTS, Fedora, RHEL, and SUSE. We have provided different methods to install the VS Code on Linux so that users can pick their preferred methods. If you have any Query then Kindly Comment Us and we will revert to you with a solution ASAP.
For more info, Kindly visit TecRobust