Vim Linux Installation on Ubuntu: In this article, we will see How to Download and Install Vim Text Editor on different Linux Distributions such as Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS, Linux Mint, and other Fedora Distributions. We will also discuss a Brief Introduction to Vim Linux and working with Vim Text Editor. In general, Vim Linux is an advanced Text Editor similar to Atom Text Editor that is more powerful and an enhanced application with which you can work on Programming, System Administration, High-Level Text Editing and more. The most Stable and Latest Version of Vim Currently is 8.0.1453. Let us see about Vim Editor on the below article in detail.
- What is Vim Linux?
- Key Features of Vim Text Editor
- Different Methods to install Vim on Linux Distributions
- Install Vim on Ubuntu using Terminal
- How to Start Vim on Ubuntu Unity
- Download & Install Vim App using GUI Mode on Ubuntu Unity
- Install Vim on Fedora based Distributions
- Getting Started with Vim- Powerful Text Editors
- Get in Touch with Us
What is Vim Linux?
Basically, Vim is a Powerful Text Editor with a lot of Enhanced features and it works based on the Modal which has its background from Unix. Compared to the Normal Text editors, Vim comes with a lot of powerful features that makes it more flexible and usable for High-Level Coders, Heavy file editors and more.
Key Features of Vim Text Editor:
- Compatible Version of Unix Editor Vi.
- It is a Cross-Platform Text Editor and hence it is available for different platforms such as Linux, Windows, Mac and more.
- You can access Vim through Command mode and also through Graphical User Interface.
- High-Level Text Editing is possible with Vim Editor.
- More Suitable for people who work with Markup Programming Languages such as HTML, LaTeX and more.
- Best Text Editor for System Administrators.
- Different Methods to install Vim Linux on Linux Distributions:
Different Methods to install Vim on Linux Environment:
As we discussed in the above paragraph, there are different methods available for downloading and installing Vim on different Linux Distributions. Kindly Check out the following methods and choose your most convenient one.
- Install Vim Text Editor on Ubuntu Distributions using Terminal
- Download & Install Vim Editor on Ubuntu Unity using GUI Mode
- Install Vim on Fedora based Distributions
How to Install Vim Linux on Ubuntu Unity- Terminal Method:
In this section, we will see how to install Vim Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS and other Ubuntu-based Distros. The following are the commands to be used to install the application on Ubuntu.
This is Beginner’s section. New to Linux Terminal? No Problem. Kindly follow our detailed steps with clear image explanation to install Vim on Ubuntu.
- Open Terminal using the Shortcut CTRL + ALT + T.
- Firstly, we will update the Package lists installed on our system. Execute the following command.
- Finally, we will use the installation command for Vim Linux and the command as follows. Enter Password if you are asked to authenticate the process.
- The installation will take some time and hence kindly be patient.
How to Start Vim Application on Linux Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS:
Starting Vim on Terminal:
- Once the installation is completed then you can access the Vim on Terminal using the following command.
Starting Vim on Graphical User Interface(As a Standalone application):
- You can access Vim through All Applications.
Download & Install Vim Linux on Ubuntu Unity using GUI Mode:
- Go to All Applications.
- Search for Ubuntu Software and Open it.
- Click on the Search Symbol that is available on the Top of the window.
- Once you click the Search symbol, a Search bar will drop down.
- Search for Vim. Once you find the application then click on that.
- Choose the Install option.
- Kindly wait till the installation completes.
- You can Launch the Application once installation is done.
Vim Linux Installation Command for Fedora-based Distributions:
- Kindly follow the below command to install Vim on Fedora based distributions.
- The above command will install Vim Text Editor on Fedora and Fedora based distributions.
Getting Started with Vim Text Editor on Ubuntu Unity:
- You can open the Vim Editor on the Terminal using the Command “Vim”.
- Once the application opens, you can start using it. You can create a number of tabs and work simultaneously using the Shortcut File –> New tab.
- You can also set the Character Encoding using the shortcut Terminal –> Set Character Encoding. You can get the above two features if you open the Vim Editor on GUI through All Applications.
- If you want to get the Help in using Vim Editor then use the command :help
- If you wish to quit the Vim application, Kindly use the command :q
Get in Touch with Us:
This article provides detailed information on Vim Text Editor and provides different methods to download and install Vim Linux on Ubuntu Unity 18.04.1 LTS and on Linux Mint and also on Fedora based distributions. If you have any Query or if you face any difficulty in following the above steps then Kindly Comment Us and we will get back to you with a solution ASAP.