Wine 5.0 Stable Release: WineHQ, the developer of Wine released its latest and most stable Wine 5.0 on January 21, 2020. The latest version comes with a lot of surprising updates and features which makes Wine 5.0 stand out of its previous releases. Wine 5.0 release has been dedicated to Mr. Józef Kucia, the major contributor to Wine’s Direct3D implementation who passed away recently at a young age. May his soul rest in peace.
Features of Wine 5.0 Stable:
- Multi-monitor Support: The latest version of Wine comes with the multi-monitor support which allows users to set up multiple monitors and then to use Wine on them.
- Vulkan 1.1 Support: Wine 5.0 supports the latest cross-platform 3D graphics and a computational API system, the Vulkan 1.1
- XAudio2 Reimplementation: It is an audio API for Microsoft platforms and Wine 5.0 is now supporting this XAudio2 reimplementation.
- Modules(Builtin) for PE Format: Wine supports Portable Executable(PE) formats that describe the structure of executable image files of Microsoft operating systems.
Install Wine 5.0 on Linux Ubuntu 19.10/ 18.04 LTS:
Kindly execute the following commands on the terminal to install Wine 5.0 stable on Ubuntu 19.10(Eoan Ermine) and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS(Bionic Beaver).
- Open Terminal using the shortcut CTRL + ALT + T.
- Let us download the required repository.
- Then, we will add the repository key.
- Now, we will add the repository to our system.
For Ubuntu 19.10(Eoan Ermine) users:
For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS(Bionic Beaver) users:
- Let’s update the packages of our system.
- Finally, let us install the stable Wine 5.0 package.
With the above commands on the terminal, you can install the latest and stable Wine 5.0 in your Ubuntu system.